top of page
  • Writer's pictureSam Mckay

How to upgrade from a Master 25 GRT to Master 50 GRT MMC License

Updated: Jan 24

To upgrade from a Master 25 GRT to a Master 50 GRT you need to have 90 days of service deck service while holding your USCG license as a Master 25 GRT.

How does that work?

As soon as you have 90 Sea Days while holding your Master 25 GRT you are qualified to upgrade your license to a Master 50 GRT per 46 CFR 11.422. This means that you can upgrade your USCG license to 100 GRT when you have 90 days of sea service while holding your 50 ton license on any boat on any waters as long as you are helping with the safe navigation of the vessel.

The same thing applies for going from 50 GRT to 100 GRT once you have your 50 GRT.

Does the USCG automatically give me an upgrade when I renew?

No. The USCG does not automatically give you an upgrade, if you do not ask for it.

Will I get the upgrade filing through MM-SEAS?

Yes. When you file with MM-SEAS, part of our review process is looking for these upgrades and including them in the renewal application.

We hope this made your life a little easier and if you have other questions the MM-SEAS team is always here to help!

We do prefer to answer questions live with screen sharing to make both of our lives easier.

We hold free live virtual office hours Monday and Wednesday from 5:00 - 5:30 pm PT inside of under License Guidance and then Daily Office Hours.

Pro MM-SEAS members get access to our daily live office hours Monday thru Friday from 5:00 - 5:30 pm PT. You also get access to unlimited live 1 on 1 calls with one of our USCG Licensing Specialists. Pro MM-SEAS members can access these features inside of under License Guidance.

Need to renew, upgrade or get your first USCG license?
We're here to help.

Always Free | $299 if you file with us

(Includes fees)

bottom of page