top of page
  • Writer's pictureNate Gilman

Should I Get My Marine Radio Operator License?

You only need an FCC Marine Radio Operator’s Permit (MROP) if you are going to be operating any of the following vessels:

  • Vessels with a length of 65 feet or more

  • Any inspected vessels carrying passengers for hire (includes Great Lakes inspected vessels)

  • Vessels subject to the Radiotelephone Act

  • All towing vessels 26 feet and over

  • All vessels going to ports in other countries

The FCC Marine Radio Operator’s Permit is great to have but we do not recommend getting it if you do not need it for work.

You can take the course anywhere you want but we recommend doing these courses to get your FCC Marine Radio Operator’s Permit:

We hope this made your life a little easier and if you have other questions the MM-SEAS team is always here to help!

We do prefer to answer questions live with screen sharing to make both of our lives easier.

We hold free live virtual office hours Monday and Wednesday from 5:00 - 5:30 pm PT inside of under License Guidance and then Daily Office Hours.

Pro MM-SEAS members get access to our daily live office hours Monday thru Friday from 5:00 - 5:30 pm PT. You also get access to unlimited live 1 on 1 calls with one of our USCG Licensing Specialists. Pro MM-SEAS members can access these features inside of under License Guidance.

Need to renew, upgrade or get your first USCG license?
We're here to help.

Always Free | $299 if you file with us

(Includes fees)

bottom of page