Renewing my OUPV License; Negative Drug Test

Drug test documentation is mandatory for OUPV renewal. Use CG-719P, MRO letter, consortium letter or an employer letter as proof.

2 mins read・Aug 12, 2022
On this page

For all renewal applications, you’ll need evidence of having passed a chemical test for dangerous drugs.

The Coast Guard form CG-719P can be used to document the results of the DOT 5-panel Test. The meaning of the "optional" at the top of the CG-719P form means that documentation using that form is optional. All mariners must still provide evidence of passing the test.

Other accepted options:

You may also use a letter from a marine employer or consortium attesting to participation in a random drug testing program, or a letter attesting to pre-employment drug testing from your employer instead of a drug test.


There are a few exceptions to this requirement including increasing in scope, asking for a duplicate, or applying for an STCW only endorsement.

How long is the test good for?

No matter what type of evidence you use, it must be dated within 185 of your application being submitted to the Regional Exam Center (REC).

Other Renewing my OUPV topics


TWIC Exemption Fees

We hope this made your life a little easier and if you have other questions the MM-SEAS team is always here to help!

MM-SEAS is free to use on your own and if you need some more personalized help you can upgrade to MM-SEAS Pro inside of the site.

No matter what, when you are ready to submit your application, you can choose to have the MM-SEAS staff create a perfect application, handle the USCG application fees and work with the USCG on your behalf to resolve any issues for a flat fee of $349 or you can choose to submit on your own.

Pro MM-SEAS members get access to unlimited live 1 on 1 calls with one of our USCG Licensing Specialists. We've found that answering questions live with screen sharing in a video call makes both of our lives easier. Pro MM-SEAS members can access these features inside of MM-SEAS under License Guidance.

Need to renew, upgrade or get your first USCG license? We're here to help.

No matter if it is your first MMC, your second Upgrade or your fifth Renewal USCG Licensing is easy with MM-SEAS.
Sign Up for Free
Always Free | $349 if you file with us (Includes fees)

About the author

Nate Gilman
Nate Gilman

Nate has over 15 years of professional maritime experience and has hawsepiped his way to a 3rd Mate Unlimited Endorsement with full STCW compliance. He is proud veteran of the NOAA Commissioned Corps.

Recent Posts